Remember when to use LY at the end of a word.

Here is a coupon I came across recently:

The word REGULAR is describing the word PRICED, which is an adjective that describes ITEM. It would be correct to write A REGULAR (adjective) ITEM, with REGULAR describing the noun ITEM.

Here, though, REGULAR refers to PRICED, which is an adjective itself.  The word needs to be an adverb (REGULARLY).  Adverbs describe verbs (The snake slithered SLOWLY.) or adjectives (REGULARLY PRICED or COMPLETELY mistaken) or other adverbs (The snake slithered VERY SLOWLY. or Traffic is moving TOO SLOWLY.)

On this coupon the wording should be as follows:

25% off any one regularly priced item of $150 or more…

Tags:

7 Responses to “Remember when to use LY at the end of a word.”

1. Aleesa says:

Can you reference this rule for regular vs regularly in the AP stylebook?

2. admin says:

Aleesa, In my copy of the AP stylebook (p. 122), there is a reference under “-ly” that makes this statement: “Do not use a hyphen between adverbs ending in LY and adjectives they modify: an easily remembered rule, a badly damaged island, a fully informed woman.

This is not a direct reference to my post about using LY, but it does refer to adverbs ending in LY being used to modify adjectives, which is what I was talking about. Does that help? You can see that the AP examples follow the same pattern as REGULARLY PRICED.

3. rebecca says:

With "priced" I absolutely agree, but I have always felt that the alternative "regular-price item" was just as good. Please weigh in because I type a lot of coupons!

4. rani says:

nice article, success..

5. First of all I would like to say excellent blog!
    I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind in getting
    my ideas out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually
    wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips?
    Appreciate it!

6. admin says:

Actually, I do have what I think is some good advice on this issue. First, do NOT begin by worrying about how to begin. Just jump in and start writing, pretty much the way you would jump into a cold swimming pool instead of going slowly down the ladder, toe by toe. Jump in, and you’re in. Do the same with your writing. Just jump in and start writing whatever comes into your mind related to the topic. Don’t stare at the screen trying to decide in your mind where to begin. Just begin. Then, once you’ve rambled a while, you will see your beginning somewhere along the way. You can rearrange then, but you have some concrete thoughts on paper. I promise you this works. I do it all the time!

And please let me know when you’ve tried it a few times.  Thanks for liking the blog.

7. admin says:

Sorry I missed this when it came in. Good question. I would agree with you if you print “regular price item” (where REGULAR modifies the noun PRICE). However, if you add D to PRICE, it becomes not a noun but an adjective modifying ITEM. In that case, REGULARLY is an adverb modifying the adjective PRICED. Hope that makes sense. I also don’t have a problem with hyphenating “regular-price,” so your coupons are probably fine. Thanks for writing.