Possessive of ONE FAMILY is not FAMILIES.

Here is part of a "Job Wanted" ad that appeared in my local newspaper this week:

Christian lady looking to clean one families home.

Whoops! The epidemic of apostrophe problems continues. This lady only wants to clean ONE HOME. The HOME should belong to ONE FAMILY. The proper way to show that ONE HOME belongs to ONE FAMILY is to add an apostrophe and an S to the end of FAMILY.

Changing the Y to I and adding ES makes the word refer to several FAMILIES, and I am sure the lady did not mean to suggest that this should be one HOME belonging to several FAMILIES.  The sentence should read this way:

Christian lady looking to clean one family's home.

Tags:

7 Responses to “Possessive of ONE FAMILY is not FAMILIES.”

1. Kare says:

i would love to see more blogs like yours…

2. Emme says:

Thank you! I was puzzling over this in class, because the teacher wrote "He was defending his families honor." so much clearer now

3. admin says:

Of course, it should be “He was defending his family’s honor.”  Just curious–did you discuss this with the teacher?  I am glad you found the website helpful.

4. nicole says:

thanks, quick and to the point!

5. nicole says:

Is there a way to subscribe to your tips and tricks? If not, please get one started ;O)  *thumbs up*

6. admin says:

Sorry for the very late reply on this. I had to revamp parts of this site over the last few months. I don’t actually have a “tips and tricks” subscription, but I do post quite often on Facebook, and the Grammar Glitch Central page there serves that purpose. You are welcome to visit there any time and scroll through the many tips and tricks mentioned there. You are also welcome to make a friend request. Use your name, Nicole, and I will be happy to “friend” you. Then you will receive a notice every time I post to that site.